Monday, June 13, 2016

How can I setup my home router for multiple external ip addresses?

Resumed on the comment :"Anyways, I'm using different firmware for my WRT54G and I believe it supports 1:1 NAT. I've also checked into DD-WRT and it definitely supports it.
Although, I'm thinking about buying/building a pfSense box. The ALIX boards loo
k nice but it seems like 22 MB connection is pushing against it's limit (espicially for VPN and even QoS I think).
I've read about the Cisco 871 but it seems a bit too pricey for fooling around at home.


 however :"to do Proxy ARP to announce to the WAN connection that it has more than one IP address, then it NATs traffic sourced/destined for that IP to the device on the LAN as you specify.
So you have one IP in use on the router/firewall for general in
ternet stuff, then a second one for the server you configure to use it with the 1 to 1 nat (and so on with the 3rd, and 4th IPs, or whatever you need).
Putting devices 'outside' the router/firewall is probably sub-optimal if you want them to enjoy the protection of NAT and any firewall features of your gateway device as well as residing on the LAN with your other computers for performance and ease of access etc. "


https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1110455 

No comments: